This started out to be an experiment in testing the limits of the new Customizer functionality. Then, of course, it occurred to me that what better way to test the Customizer than to modernize the old classic theme Kubrick, make it responsive and customizable in modern WordPress?
A lot of coding love went into this one, particularly in terms of the Customizer hook-ins and the dynamic stylesheet that serves up the header.
Storm Farnik Media
The client’s number one goal on this project was quick and easy. An existing theme was modified and adapted to fit the needs of a modern portfolio portal. A custom post type was mapped to a reworked slider, custom archives were built for top-level categories and a bit of fun was had implementing featured image-based pagination on the entry pages. There was minimal graphics work but a lot of time expended on getting the look just right.
Role: Project Manager/Developer
Description: Going into this build, the other members of the Web Team and I were already aware of the unique functionality this project would challenge us with. This was my first time working on a truly two-way interactive site. Some of the goodies baked into this theme include custom front-side account management menus, custom post type submission forms, several custom taxonomies, custom page templates, widgets, plugins and more. I worked closely with the designer, Kris Lagraff, to make sure the site was as usable as it was beautiful and functional.
Description: The client approached us about building a theme to highlight the vibrancy of their business solutions in the Costa Rican region. Because of the locale needs, we chose a bright color scheme highlighting the blues and greens that are often found there. We tackled this project with a specific emphasis on clean, minimal design in mind.
Tax Law Geek
Description: With this build, we began with a client-supplied logo and color palette and worked outward. The theme itself has a decidedly “whimsical” feel that was a challenge to keep consistent. Much of the work involved customizing existing functionality already present in the theme. This project involved graphics work, custom coding, use of custom taxonomies, custom menus and several layers of contact forms.
Out Front Colorado
Description: The client approached us with an existing theme but a laundry list of required customizations. In this build, we incorporated custom post types, taxonomies, custom templates, complex contact forms, ad management functionality and more robust back-end capabilities. We also made several improvements to page handling allowing for 3rd-party integrations.
Description: This was my latest (but not nearly last) attempt at a personal blog. I worked to keep the theme minimal but usable and gave it a few of the extra bells and whistles including shortlink support, auto-tweeting, Livefyre commenting, contact forms, sharing tools and more.
The Met Report
Role: Project Manager/Developer
Description: This was one of the first site rebuilds we tackled after forming the new Web Team at the Office of Student Media at Metro State. The designer, Kris Lagraff worked over an extended schedule to address the existing needs of Met Report staff including video embed integration, robust back-end options and a modicum of color theory to reinforce color themes between top-level categories. Very few parts of the initial theme were not customized in some way.
The Metropolitan v1
Description: This was one of my first WordPress-based builds. We worked to simplify the front page design so relevant news was centralized in a single location. The original theme had a very magazine-like feel, much outside the newspaper feel it should have had. I learned a lot about coding WordPress working on this project. Each top-level parent section (e.g. News, Metrospective, Sports) had a unique archive structure that was carried down through the child categories. Custom menus displayed categories and pages seamlessly together.
Description: This was their second redesign in several years, but we worked with future proofing in mind. Integrated custom functionalty for handling seasonal classes, a more robust menu system, file downloads, dynamic tables and an updated contact form. Also utilized Multisite functionality.
Description: This site was built to provide the client with a more robust Web footprint. Some highlights of this project include social integration, ShoutCast integration, custom menus, event calendar, blogs mapped to pages and more. Mixing transparency and subtle background textures made this a fun design experiment.
Colorado Public News
Description: This project was a complete site redesign. Redesigned look, branding and functionality with a new theme and organization. The client had a very unclear message when users first landed on the home page. We went for a lighter theme to reinforce the feeling of an information portal. Using of tabbing scripts and other organizational tools, we brought everything together in as a package so users could find what they were looking for, faster.
Description: I call this version 2. My first portfolio website design out of the gate was loosely based on a theme from GraphPaperPress. But it was complicated (and ugly) and hard to navigate. What I was going for with this new design was simplicity. 4-8 pages, simple navigation, ease of use and above all, message management. I have a working contact form, an awesome Lifestream that brings in all my updates and an awesome set of portfolio pages that are easy to use and navigate.